Monday, March 19, 2012

The Bonus Post


I'm trying to be sneaky with my post title. I'm hoping it will make you feel special, like maybe you are getting something a little extra for being a super dedicated blog reader, and you'll forgive the fact that it's been a while since my last post. Is it working?



About 3.5 seconds after learning that we were expecting, I muttered a string of words that brought horror to Caleb's thoughts .....and more recently, our bank account.

"We need to redo the bonus room."

I was 110% convinced that our first priority was to redo our bonus room. Of course we all know that my idea was completely rational  hormone induced. From what I can remember, the rest of the conversation went a little something like this:

C: "That's funny, it sounded like you said bonus room. You meant Nursery right?"
M: "No. We need to redo the bonus room. New carpet, paint, lights, etc."
C: "But why would we need to redo that room? We're not putting the baby in the bonus room...are we?"
M. "Because we need to move the office furniture from the nursery to the bonus room, so we might as well redo the whole room before we move the furniture." (I admit it does sound a little crazy now that I'm typing it out.)

So Caleb did what any husband does when their pregnant wife insists asks for something...he gave in.

Like any renovation project, the bonus room took on a life of it's own. Our first and biggest project was new carpeting. And since we would be putting in new carpeting, we might as well repaint, because we wouldn't want to repaint after the new carpet was installed. And since we were repainting, we should probably get some new light fixtures, since we would have to take down the old light fixtures to paint. You know that book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie"? Well I was that mouse, and the bonus room was my cookie. One big fat chocolate chip cookie. (Mmm..I could totally go for a cookie right now.)

Lucky for us (and since I have been a little lax on my blog posts) my blog editor had some free time to visit and help out with our "little" project. Caleb and Dad did all of the heavy lifting, painting and installing while I supervised from the couch. It was an exhausting couple of days, and I'm pretty sure Caleb and Dad were tired too. We were able to finish a majority of the work and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Let's look at some before and after shots, shall we? ( I have, of course, marked a few areas of interest. I wouldn't want you to miss anything.)






Feel that burning in your eyes? That's the body's natural reaction to unsightly interior decorating (or lack thereof). Let's give it a few seconds to subside.

And now for the "In Progress" shots....

Please pay no attention to the mess. I haven't had a chance to tidy up since we were featured on an episode of Hoarders.





We still need to put up a chair rail at the intersection of brown and white. I have chosen a profile deep enough to allow us to rest pictures frames along it. I am going for something like this:


I have a feeling after June we'll have plenty of pictures to choose from for our gallery wall, although they may all feature a cute little guy.



3 comments:

  1. Meg,
    I am running out of accolades for your blog writing ( do they have oscars for great blogs??) It was a pleasure to help "redo" the "bonus room"; and being there for the "before and after" look, I think it looks great. I had so much fun helping and the benefits were great too.(banana shakes, Brazilian steak house..Mmm). I am looking forward to your next blog which I know will be the hit of the crowd so don't keep us waiting too long. I couldn't have done it without Caleb's help and your direction..:-P. Keep up the good work. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed all the fun (and heavy lifting!) but it seems I timed my visit just right! Let the shopping for the nursery decor begin! Ok, ok I can probably find some time to help tidy up the bonus room too. Really like what you've done there, and can't wait to see it in person next week. Always enjoy your blogs and look forward to your next one. See you Friday nite! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giiiirl, you are inspiring me to start ripping through the rooms of my house redoing everything! I LOVE the bonus room and it makes me feel like I have ants in my pants to have to wait and see the finished nursery! I love all the ideas you brought forth here...especially the molding with the picture frames, a perfect way to display art without having to perfectly hang each photo. Keep up the great work but remember to get lots of rest too! Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete