Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hello, My Name Is...




Many of you have been asking if we've picked a name yet for our little man. To be honest, we haven't even made our list of top 10. There are so many options, it's kind of like trying to pick a shade of white paint - cotton, snow, ivory..I digress.

This is a HUGE decision that we don't want to take lightly. Baby H will have to live with our decision for his entire life. No pressure...right?

I must admit that I have been more aware of names in general. I'm extra sensitive to spelling variations as well -"That's Bob with one 'o' or....?" And I wait for the movie credits like I wait for girl scout cookies to go on sale. (One word...YUM!)

I also frequent a few baby name websites to get a feel of what's in (and what's not).

Nameberry.com has a live feed that shows names that people are currently searching for. (People search for some odd names on a Saturday night at 11 pm.)



Babycenter.com  has a feature that will show you suggestions based on your current search.


And of course there are lot of top baby name lists out there for each year. Here's the top 40 for 2012 from Babycenter. Check out # 25. 

Popular Baby Names for 2012.

Since we will not be posting the official name until we meet Baby H (we'd like to make sure it fits), and I need to post something of substance so you'll keep coming back to read more, I have decided to share the names that we have officially ruled out. (Let's hope Baby's handwriting is better than below.) *


I actually surprised myself by putting this first. This has been my first choice for a boy for YEARS. I am, however, a little hesitant of any names that fall within the top 10. It sure has been nice being the only Meghan at my office.


As much as we would love our son to be guaranteed a Number 1 jersey, we think he should earn it on his own.


I have liked this name since reading "The Next Always" by Nora Roberts. I had already figured that Nora would be naming all of my babies since I fell in love with Emmaline (Emma) from her series "The Bride Quartet". We can't get past "Beck" as a nickname though, so it's off the list. Maybe next time Nora.


Enough said.


Caleb and I would really like a first name that can be shortened to a nickname. Unfortunately Everett doesn't offer this option (we couldn't really get into "Ev" or "Ever").


Like any parent, we have high hopes for our little guy. This may be taking it a little too far though.


We even considered offering up the naming rights to the highest bidder and having sponsors for the middle name. "Comcast Samoas Hartwell". (Free cable and girl scout cookies for life!) I could live with that.

And to any of you considering putting together your own list of suggestions for Baby H, you can put your pencil down. In the small chance that Baby H didn't like his name, I wouldn't want him to hold it against you, that's what parents are for. 

* Apologies to anyone who has or is considering a name on our "no" list. No hard feelings...k?

3 comments:

  1. Dad ( yep..still the blog editor)March 5, 2012 at 8:53 AM

    Meg,
    Once again you dazzle us with your comedy blog. (I am trying to get it syndicated..You might as well get paid for your work here). As for baby names, I know you said no suggestions and I am fine with you and Caleb making the selection, but you should give serious consideration to at least one meaningful name.."Golden"..It has a nice ring to it. ( and I have another suggestion for his middle name if You decide you like the first name.)(Hint..it starts with a "C"..See you both tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never presume that I would know better than you what to call your son...my grandson....so you will not get any suggested names from me. However, I can't guarantee you won't get names from Aunt Susan! Whatever you decide will be the right choice for him. But do I really have to wait 3 more months to find out???? Ok I'll be patient and promise not to ask you if you've decided on one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the title of your blog sounds like the slim shady song - therefore, Eminem H. sounds good...

    ok - no suggestions...;o(

    ReplyDelete